Monthly Monday Musings ~ February 2017
Happy Monday! Here are a few interesting articles from around the Interwebs.
1. You may have noticed the blogging and mom world has gone crazy with the Instant Pot. If you’re not familiar with this gadget, it’s essentially a crockpot that’s a pressure cooker and can cook meals in record time. The Instant Pot became a crazy word-of-mouth phenomenon and this article explains how the tiny manufacturing company essentially sold $14.8 million worth of product in a single day with no advertising. I have not jumped on the Instant Pot bandwagon. I still love my crockpot and it serves its purpose for me.
2. Fellow grammar nerds will enjoy this post by a Harvard linguist who reveals the most misused words in English. Number 18 (verbal) was drilled into me in college journalism class and it always drives me crazy when I see it misused.
3. As you’ve probably seen on your Facebook feed and outside grocery stores nationwide, it’s Girl Scout cookie time. Sophie recently sold boxes outside a Kroger in very cold 32-degree weather (quite a change from last year’s sales in San Diego). I thought this was a fascinating article about how Girl Scouts went from selling cookies 100 years ago to its $800 million fundraising effort today.
4. If you’re curious, these are the oldest businesses in each state. These were pretty interesting, including this Virginia business that’s been running since 1613 (even before we were a country)! Have you heard of your state’s oldest company?
5. I recently finished reading The Magician’s Assistant by Ann Patchett and really liked it. I’m currently reading The Good Daughter by Alexandra Burt. It’s really captivating! I read her first novel, Remember Mia, a few years ago and loved it. I’ll have more on this book in a just a bit.
6. Speaking of books, I joined the Book of the Month Club in an attempt to get back into reading new books. Anyone who loves books will love getting a new book delivered to their door each week. If you want to sign up, click here and get three months for $9.99 each, plus a cute tote. And if use these links I provided, I get a free book for you signing up. Of course, feel free to sign up outside of my link too.
7. Have you been watching anything good on television? I have binged through quite a few series of late: “The Crown” (excellent) and “Paranoid” on Netflix (okay). I’m happy “Homeland” is back on and it seems to get better each episode. My new favorite is “Code Black” on CBS. If you haven’t seen it, watch it! But first, watch the Code Black documentary, which is the inspiration for the CBS show. It’s about the country’s busies emergency room in Los Angeles. It’s fascinating and on Netflix.
What’s going on in your life? What are you musing about right now?
NOTE: Apparently because I used the word “crockpot” in this post, all the Related Links below are crockpot recipes. Hope you’re hungry!