Happy Monday! It’s Columbus Day, which means no mail. I still dutifully check my mailbox every day, so I dislike mail holidays (especially as a freelancer expecting checks). School is in session and I’m working, of course. Do you get Columbus Day off?
1. I realized over the weekend — when it was 100 degrees outside! — that I actually have a love-hate relationship with October. I love it because it should feel like fall and Halloween is my absolute favorite. But I despise the inevitable hot and dry weather (it wasn’t even this hot over the summer!). Back in October 2003 and 2007 (when I was 9 months pregnant), we were evacuated from our house because of wildfire threats. The fire in 2003 came so close to our house that for three days, we didn’t know if we had a home waiting for us. And we knew many people who lost their houses. I just want an October where I can wear jeans, boots and scarves. I want to be cold again!
2. Remember two weeks ago when I shared my love of all-things pumpkin at Trader Joe’s? Well apparently there are 33 types of pumpkin items at the store and you can read about all of them in this Medium article. Oh! And when I was there last week, I picked up pumpkin panettone, which is really delicious.
3. I published one of my pieces, “Watching ‘The Wonder Years’ Through Different Eyes,” on Club Mid at Scary Mommy. Would love your thoughts. Has that happened to you?
4. This article about daughters with nagging mothers give me hope for my future.
5. One of my favorite people in the world is Ina Garten (aka The Barefoot Contessa). I love her recipes, simple approach to good food, and I credit her cookbooks and old Food Network shows as the foundation for my love for cooking. This is one of the best features I’ve read about Ina. And I just learned that the entire first season of her “Back to Basics” show is now on Netflix! As Ina says, “How great is that?”
6. So many great tips in this story, “I Followed My Mom Around Costco and This is What I Learned.” I’ve been doing the same strategy with the 6-pound packs of ground beef for years.
7. This story about the demise of the card catalog is sad, but it’s really a sign of the times. I remember having to learn the Dewey decimal system in elementary school. Crazy to think Sophie will never know the paper system of finding a library book.
8. Finally, let’s talk fall television. I am SO excited Homeland is back on! Other shows on my watch-list include The Good Wife, Shark Tank, Law and Order: SVU and The Affair. We also started Blindspot, which is interesting, albeit a bit predictable. Someone told me their fall television selections are comprised of reality shows, sitcoms and football — totally opposite of my nerve-racking selections. It did get me wondering if she’s a happier person in life than I am (not that I’m unhappy). I do feel badly that I’m neglecting my books though; so there’s that. What are you watching?
What’s going on in your life? Tell me what you’re musing about this week!
Other Posts You May Like: