It’s the last Monday of September. What happened to the month? Can you believe it will be October later this week?!
1. This is the time of year when I tend to go a bit pumpkin-crazy at Trader Joe’s (see above photo). It’s also the time when I have to put a moratorium on entering Bath and Body Works. The pumpkin item you will not see me partake in, however, is the Starbucks Pumpkin Space Latte. Not a fan!
2. I’d love it if you hop over to Huffington Post Parents and check out my latest post, “In Defense of the Reading Log,” where I fully expect parents who despise nightly required reading will now turn that hate toward me.
3. We just returned from Mickey’s Halloween Party at the Happiest Place on Earth. Considering how much I love this holiday, I feel so fortunate to be able to visit Disneyland during Halloween. I love checking out all the festive decor and pumpkins carved throughout the park. Disneyland is a magical place by itself; but throw in Halloween, and it’s pretty incredible.
This visit was different from our other trips because Sophie wanted to ride every roller coaster in both parks. Forget Dumbo, Tea Cups and the King Arthur Carousel. This time was all about Matterhorn, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Railroad and California Screaming (and several others thrown in for good measure). I was so proud of her — she did them all! I do NOT do roller coasters. So I enjoyed trick-or-treating around the park, attending blogger events, and admiring the surroundings. The only rides I went on (which were the ones I wanted) were Haunted Mansion Holiday, the new and improved Peter Pan’s Flight, Radiator Springs Racers (Cars Land) and my new favorite ride, Soarin’ Over California. It was a really nice visit.
4. Speaking of Disneyland, have you seen this two-part American Experience: Walt Disney documentary on PBS? It was such a fascinating look at Walt Disney, and how his animation, movies and Disneyland came about. I have so much to say about him and his legacy (and how they personally affect me), which I will save for a future post. But after watching this, it’s clear how Disney and his legacy has left a mark on all of us. Even if you’re not a big Disney fan, I highly recommend watching the series.
5. What do you think about this article about the Facebook memories feature? It talks about how many people do not like to be reminded of what the past (and don’t want Facebook to remind them of photos they posted in year’s past). I use the Timehop app, and check it is one of the first things I do when I get on my iPhone in the morning. I love and looking back at what I was doing this day each year. But then again, I’m also the type that keeps all her old paper planners and enjoys going back into my Google calendar and see what I was doing last year. What about you?
6. I loved this article about how a trip to Ikea inevitably leads couples to fight. I wrote a similar post about this exact subject a few years ago (Never Plan a Trip to Ikea on Your “Day of Fun”). And it reminds me of that 30 Rock episode where Liz was determined to buck the odds that a trip to Ikea would not ruin her new relationship. Liz and I were on to something way before The Atlantic published its piece.
What’s going on in your life? Are you excited fall is here? Do you hate Ikea or the Timehop app? Are you a Disney fan? Tell me what you’re musing about this week!
Other Posts You May Like: